Friday 27 July 2012

An exchange student.. exchanging.

         I had always liked classical music: Bach, Mozzart, Beethoven, Satie, and the rest of them. I had never gotten a CD or a cassette and actually listened to it, but it always caught my ears, and I knew what it was. I officially started listening to classical music in the U.S. At my host home I found a group of CD's and I recognized Satie. I would listen to the soft smooth music under my yellow lamp while studying, or reading. I really felt it was such a fine piece of art that I was enjoying, and music in Heaven must be something of that kind. 
        
         So, I expressed the desire to go to a classical music concert. I wanted to see how they all harmonized those sounds together to make this piece of Heaven. Coach Heine, a teacher and a football coach at Catholic High, knew about that, I don't remember how exactly but I am sure it was via Kay Barre. Coach Heine and I had a very special relationship. He never taught me, but we got to know each other and he knew where I was from and he knew that I spoke some French, he knew I loved it too,so he always pretended I was French not Egyptian. So he would scream at me in the hallways, at the top of his voice going like " Hey Sharkawy, How is France?" or " D'y'all got snow in France?" or just a simple "Bonjour". We had never really talked but those hilarious conversations that we had in the hallways with everyone laughing at us was all I needed to love the guy. He offered to take me to a classical music concert, and I was ecstatic for that. It wasn't easy though to actually get that Coach Heine, the football coach, who coaches those male teenagers that flood the fields with their sweat and testosterone, could actually like something as fine and as artsy as classical music.


       I dressed up for the big night, I wore my tuxedo and since it was March so I had to wear a coat, which was extremely elegant, and also extremely borrowed from kris, my host father at the time. Then I had my glasses that had red web-like net on either side, which many people told me was pretty cool. Coach Heine picked me up with his van and we were headed downtown. I don't remember exactly where the concert was held but i remember it was such a chique place indeed, and worth all the dressing up. So many people were dressed up, men in tuxedos and women in beautiful gowns. What I managed to know later that night, that I was sitting in Coach Heine's wife's seat. He had season tickets basically and she had refrained from coming so I took her place.

       I was surprisingly bored just sitting there looking at the orchestra play, and I wished very much I had a book to read or something while having the music as background. During the recital I had seen Miss Hunter, my beautiful math teacher at Catholic High. So in the break, I went to her and said hi and she was very surprised when she saw me there. I bet her thoughts were something like that " what brought this Egyptian Barbarian to this fine concert!?". Anyway, she was the one who told me the deal about Coach Heine's wife. She took me outside where we chatted a little, then she introduced me to that gorgeous lady that a couple of minutes ago had played in the orchestra. Right after that, she teased me that she got me to know some very beautiful, and sophisticated women, that I would have never been able to know without her help.
     
        The concert ended, I liked it very much and I loved the atmosphere of it all. We started to head out, Coach Heine and I, when a wonderful thing happened. We bumped into Sarah and her family. And yes Sarah is not her real name. Her mother, Marisa, was a friend of Linda 's, my host mother. So she recognized and said hi and I introduced them to coach Heine. Sarah's mother offered that I hang out with them, that we can all have a cup of coffee someplace nice. I was ecstatic about the offer for a reason. The reason was Sarah. She was this gorgeous girl, with long blonde hair running down her back and has cute freckles on her face. She had this exquisite gown on and the most delicate shal on her shoulders. What attracted me so much was that I had heard about her and her family. I knew she has studied French since middle school so she must speak pretty decent French, which just attracts me like a moth to a flame. Also, her mother had lived a couple years in France. French sophistication was present in the family.

        The funniest thing happened when the waiter asked me what I wanted, and then he said, " you know sir that you can't have any alcohol". So I just went like" Dang, that's too bad",  the man didn't know I was muslim and I can't have any alcohol even if I was fifty years old. We talked about many things, I asked Sarah's mother about France and I was all ears to the beauty of even the stories about that country. Sarah and I talked about both of our schools, she was in Mount St.Mary's,  which was like Catholic High's sister school. We discussed how bad it was that Catholic High only had two french courses while Mount had four, and I told her that I would love to come to Mount to take French four, and she laughed hard at that, Mount was an all-girls school. I could smell Sarah's scent from where i was sitting, it just pierced my nostrils with the sweet smell. That night was just amazing. I went to a classical music concert and then got acquainted with the representatives of the French culture in the mighty state of Arkansas, Sarah's family, the Speck-kerns.

No comments:

Post a Comment